Each April, Earth Day Oregon organizes a statewide coalition of partners that inspires collective giving and action around April 22nd every year—to amplify the impact of local nonprofits who make Earth Day their every day.
Since launching in 2019, the annual Earth Day Oregon campaign has grown rapidly and has helped raise more than $1.2M for participating nonprofit partners.
For Earth Day Oregon 2023, 87 diverse nonprofits, 310 local businesses, and thousands of community members participated in collective action throughout April in honor of Earth Day (April 22nd). Wherever you are in Oregon, we invite you to join us!
Through this coordinated effort, we are building the tradition of Earth Day as an inclusive occasion for Oregonians to generate a wave of support for the nonprofits leading us to healthy environments, equitable communities, and sustainable economies across our state.
Who Does What During the Campaign?
Earth Day Oregon builds the nonprofit partner community
Earth Day Oregon recruits nonprofit partners to join the campaign and then facilitates informational and orientation meetings. There are no fees for nonprofit partners to participate. See registration page here.
Oregon nonprofits that engage with and benefit marginalized communities who are impacted by systemic racism, discrimination, inequities, and other forms of oppression are encouraged to participate. Earth Day Oregon provides additional support to nonprofits that are small, rural, community-benefit (CBOs), culturally-specific, and/or advancing environmental justice.
Eligibility Requirements (See the nonprofit registration page for full eligibility requirements):
- Nonprofit partners must be 501(c)(3) organizations based in (or with a location in) Oregon; or are located in Oregon and are fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- They each advance one or more of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in Oregon.
- Nonprofit partners are prepared to fulfill the campaign commitments (details below).
- Nonprofit partners’ policies and practices must provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals in leadership, staffing and service, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, and any status protected by law. They must not require attendance or participation in religious/faith activities as a condition of service delivery, nor require adherence to religious/faith beliefs as a condition of service or employment.
Nonprofit partners find and register least 3 supporting business partners
Each nonprofit partner invites and secures at least 3 business partners who agree to participate and support the nonprofit as part of the Earth Day Oregon campaign. They coordinate to make sure the business is registered by the deadline to be included in full campaign partner promotion.
Each business partner commits to:
- Making a meaningful monetary contribution directly to their nonprofit partner in honor of Earth Day; and
- Getting the word out to their audience about their partnership and ways people can engage with the broader campaign during Earth Month (April).
There is no minimum dollar amount required for the contribution in honor of Earth Day; but it should be meaningful to both the business and the nonprofit partner. The amount is up to the partners to determine. The contribution can be a flat dollar amount, proceeds from a product or service, a percentage of revenue on Earth Day, a match for employee April volunteer hours, etc. Business partner donations are to be made directly to the nonprofit no later than May 10th.
Nonprofit partners are responsible for vetting and linking up with business partners who value their work, who are committed to achieving sustainability in Oregon (no greenwashing), and who will receive visibility through the campaign. Business partners support no more than 3 nonprofits. While monetary donations are preferred, one of the three required business partner donations can be in-kind (non-cash).
Nonprofit partners and business partners receive resources from Earth Day Oregon
Provides support, regular communications, campaign resources, and events to support Nonprofit Partners and their Business Partners in their campaign efforts, aiming to make it as accessible and easy to participate as possible.
Earth Day Oregon provides support and a bunch of cohesively-branded, handy resources to nonprofit and business partners to make participation and promotion of their campaign efforts as easy as possible.
For example, partners receive:
- Earth Day Oregon campaign logos
- Campaign-branded, customizable posters for business storefronts, registers, etc.
- Sample, customizable content and images for social media channels in English and Spanish
- Other tools, tips, and resources to support campaign success for all partners
Nonprofit partners plan and promote their Earth Day Oregon campaign participation, with the help of their business partners
Nonprofit partners plan and carry out their own individualized Earth Day Oregon campaigns that fit their goals and audience. This is done while incorporating Earth Day Oregon’s customizable branding and language to make it clear that we are all part of a larger campaign that is making a collective impact. Each partner’s campaign should focus on engagement and action in Earth Month (April), especially on Earth Day (April 22nd).
Business partners help promote the partnership and campaign by inviting their supporters/clients/community to get involved. This might include giving to the nonprofit partner, learning about them, volunteering, or attending a partner event.
Optional: Many nonprofit and business partners also team up for virtual or in-person events to celebrate Earth Day, publicize their work, and encourage public support. Earth Day Oregon’s online calendar and action hub features these partner events in April. Creative partnerships, especially ones that include ways for the public to engage, tend to attract the most media interest!
Earth Day Oregon coordinates, supports, and promotes the campaign
Earth Day Oregon manages and promotes the campaign overall and the participating nonprofit partners and business partners—to maximize giving to the nonprofits, attention for all partners, and collective action on Earth Day (April 22nd) and all April long.
We promote campaign participants and the Earth Day Oregon campaign through:
- Linked nonprofit partner and business partner directories on the website—so the public can easily see who’s involved, give, and take action
- Public online events calendar featuring partners’ Earth Month activities
- A robust statewide PR and marketing campaign with cohesive campaign branding and links directing people to the online partner directories and event calendar
- Social media and earned media
- Securing sponsors who support the campaign overall and raise the campaign’s profile
Earth Day Oregon also organizes free regional partners-only networking events to celebrate and strengthen connections among the nonprofits and business partners.
After the campaign, Earth Day Oregon distributes need-based mini grants to eligible nonprofit partners who meet their campaign commitments.
December 22, 2023
Priority deadline for nonprofit partner registration (early access to resources for business partner outreach and campaign planning)
January 9, 2024
Nonprofit Partner Orientation Meeting (virtual; for registered 2024 partners through 1/9)
January 22, 2024
Final deadline for nonprofit partner registration
January 30, 2024
Final Nonprofit Partner Orientation Meeting (virtual; for registered 2024 partners from 1/9-1/30)
March 22, 2024
Deadline for business partner registration (priority deadline is Feb. 22 to maximize PR exposure)
April 1: Earth Month Begins
- Each Nonprofit Partner carries out their Earth Day Oregon 2024 effort (with their 3+ supporting business partners)
- Earth Day Oregon continues to carry out a statewide PR and engagement campaign
- Together, Earth Day Oregon and the partner community maximize giving and action in honor of Earth Day, to amplify the impact of the nonprofit partners!
March 25 – April 4, 2024 (Dates TBA)
Earth Day Oregon hosts regional mixer events around the state for nonprofit and business partners to build community
Monday, April 22, 2024
EARTH DAY! Businesses and individuals give to and engage with nonprofit partners across the state; peak media coverage
May 10, 2024
- Deadline for business partner donations to be made to nonprofit partners
- Campaign report survey responses due to Earth Day Oregon (from nonprofit and business partners)
May 22, 2024
- Earth Day Oregon distributes mini-grants to eligible nonprofit partners
- Earth Day Oregon sends the campaign report to all partners
- That’s a wrap on Earth Day Oregon 2024!